Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My First Cambodian Kickboxing Dance Class

For some reason my video of us dancing won't upload, but I'll try again tomorrow!



Every day at about 5:30pm, when the sun dips behind the horizon and the balmy weather becomes bearable, the park lining the Sangkae River is filled with families getting their daily exercise.  While the men walk or jog and the children play, nearly one hundred women group together in various sections of the park for dance class!  Each class marks its territory with a set of large speakers booming hip-hop/techno music, and an energetic male instructor.  Mackensie and I tested out several different classes before we found one that seemed challenging enough, and after line dancing, arm movements, kicks and punches, we were sweating by the end!  Rachel, you would not believe the number of women wearing chocs-and-socks.  I totally blended in.  It's a hilarious scene, and clearly a major social event for all involved.  I think this may be a key reason why Cambodians are so happy all the time.  They dance on a daily basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment