Saturday, July 14, 2012
Busy week in Pediatrics
Our first full week of data collection is complete, and we are on our way to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat! I feel exhausted, but am definitely learning a lot. Most of my time is spent speaking with patients and their families in the pediatric ward, which I love. On average this week, we spoke with 25 new peds patients per day. One of the doctors is convinced it's only busy when I am there, and jokingly scolds me when he walks past. On Monday our hospital saw its first case of the "mystery disease" that has killed 60+ young cambodian children recently. The two-year-old girl died within hours of being admitted. The disease causes blisters on the body, fluid accumulation in the lungs, and brain swelling. Super scary and sad. They're calling it "enterovirus 71," and a "hand foot and mouth" disease, although specialists are still unclear on why it is so deadly for young children.
On thursday, three young kids caused a commotion after eating their mom's antidepressant pills while playing. They arrived only pain responsive, but after a stomach pumping and some rest they recovered quickly and were discharged the next day.
Many other patients arrive with a fever, cough, abdominal pain, shortness of breath, etc. A majority of discharge papers have Dengue as the final diagnosis.
I am amazed at how incredibly patient and kind the parents have been to me. I have begun to recognize many of the mothers who have been in the hospital for multiple days. They put their palms together, touch their fingertips to their nose and greet me with a wide smile and a nod.
Fun fact: there are murals all over the peds ward with one particular cambodian child featured and the initials "m.j.p" at the bottom. Any guesses? Hint: his parents are angelina and brad
Siem reap update soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment